Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Clumsy in the Kitchen (Jan.28, 2010)

After dinner tonight I cleaned my kitchen and put some water on the stove for coffee. A few moments later I caught myself sitting at the table lost in thought and staring at the drainer full of dishes. I was thinking how they were poorly stacked and how the bowl balancing on the edge could so easily fall and break.




Now, my twin sister would tell you that I’m clumsy in the kitchen. I admit that while the two of us were living together in college, I broke a few dishes. But, I always insisted to her that it was not clumsiness; it was simple probability. Since I was the one who always washed the dishes, then it only made sense that it would be me who broke one occasionally. I told her that if she would wash the dishes more often, then she might break one too.



Yesterday marked four months since my arrival to Ukraine, and I hadn’t broken a single dish.



That was yesterday.



So, after I caught myself daydreaming about a bowl falling from my dish drainer, I left the kitchen and started washing some laundry. I should have fixed the poorly stacked dishes, but I didn’t. After doing a bit of hand-washing, I remembered that I had heated water for coffee and I decided I was ready for a break. I mindlessly went into the kitchen and reached for a coffee mug from the dish drainer. As I grabbed the mug, I remembered that the dishes were precariously piled together and I reached for that bowl balancing on the edge to make sure that it didn’t fall. Well, I was too late. The bowl fell, but not far; it landed safely in the sink… in one piece. The coffee mug, however, didn’t fare so well. I had reached to catch the bowl very quickly, and for some reason, I reached with the hand which was already clutching the mug. And, my hands were wet from washing laundry. The cup slipped from my hand, flew through the air, bounced off the fridge, and landed with a thud… chipped and cracked.



My first thought was not a pretty one, and not one I’ll repeat. My second thought was to recognize that I had created this situation with my daydreaming. I was surprised, as I usually am in such instances when I so clearly create my own reality. My third thought, which followed immediately, even as I still stood there in awe, was of Rev. Donna’s story about a girl who broke her grandmother’s antique dish and felt badly. It was a family heirloom, but the grandmother only smiled at her granddaughter and said it was already broken. I told myself that the mug had already been broken. It was meant to be.



I made my coffee in a different mug, and sat down to process what had happened. I was reminded of my creative power, and I decided to put that energy to good use. So, I took some time to visualize myself as a happy, healthy, and effective Peace Corps volunteer.



To be honest, my mind has been so consumed with making cultural adjustments and learning how to adapt to my new environment that I haven’t had much time for things spiritual. I didn’t foresee what a challenge it would be to do things like get clean water, wash laundry, find where to buy various essentials, learn what and how to cook, all while taking on a new profession as an English teacher. Today, though, I was gently reminded of things deeper, and I happily opened myself up to Spirit. I believe that there is a great potential for me here. I see myself finding that potential, doing something good for my Ukrainian community, making the most of my Peace Corps experience, and having a happy and productive two years here.



Speaking of being productive, I better go finish my laundry so I can get started on my lesson plans for school tomorrow.



Thank you, Spirit, for being with me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment