Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Kyiv (Nov. 15, 2009)

Today has been great! Shopping in Kyiv - such a beautiful city! And now I'm at a real coffee shop with real wifi and I used skype to talk to my family! Also, I finally got to put pictures of facebook!!! The album is titled "Ukraine"; you can find it on my profile.


So, quick update. I got my first haircut in Ukraine. No translator, just me and the hair stylist. It's all about the small victories here!

My team and I are planning to host a talent show at our school in the beginning of December. We'll be singing a traditional Ukrainian song. It's going to be a fundraiser; we're trying to raise money for the English department at our school. We are in this community for training. One more month and we'll be gone. They want a permanent volunteer to teach at their school. But, Peace Corps has given them some guidelines for improving their language department first. Hopefully, we can help and they'll have their own volunteer before long.

The last three weeks my team and I have been studying Ukraine with a different teacher than we had originally. Our second teacher has been working with Peace Corps for 6 years. He's amazing, and we are doing very well with the language! One month of trainging left, then a swearing-in ceremony on December 16th before we head to our permanent sites.

Okay, my travel mates are packing their things. Gotta go. Love you all!

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment