Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Quite a Ride (March 8, 2010)

I just made it home after a great weekend with a few other Peace Corps volunteers, and it was quite a bus ride coming back.




First, I saw Ukraine like I hadn’t seen it before. The windows weren’t frozen so I could look out. And it was clear and sunny, so I could see really far across the snow-covered rolling plains. It was beautiful.



Second, I saw a herd of six deer.



Finally, I was awkwardly close to a stranger. I knew as soon as she got on the bus that she was very drunk. She planted herself right next to me and quickly passed out, slowing slouching over onto me until her head was in my lap and her beer was spilled on the floor of the bus. I thought about pushing her the other direction, but that would have meant falling into the aisle. Then, I thought about getting up and finding myself another seat, but I had already become her pillow. And, today is International Women’s Day (not recognized much in the States, but a big deal in Ukraine). To be honest, it made me really sad to see her like that – totally wasted and alone on a bus… on Women’s Day. So, I stayed there, and I was here pillow.



Happy Women’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment