Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mosquitoes and an Outhouse (July 27, 2010)

Camp TOBE


(Teaching Our Boys to Excel)

July 11 – 16, 2010

Kreminna, Ukraine



The mosquitoes were out in full force. The “summer shower” left something to be desired. And, going to the bathroom? Let’s just say that having a bowel movement was something to be avoided.



Why, then, was this camp a new highlight of my Peace Corps service and one of the most rewarding experiences of my life?



When I joined the Peace Corps, I had some pretty grandiose ideas about the kind of important work I’d be doing to help people in need. That kind of idealism pulled me through the pressures of training and into my final site placement. Six months later, though, after completing my first semester as an English teacher in my new community, I was facing feelings of disappointment, questioning the significance of my work, wondering why I was not able to build relationships with the people in my town, and unsure if I was even wanted at my site.



Such misgivings, however, were long gone by the time I finished a week at Camp TOBE. Let me enumerate the reasons why.



First, the camp atmosphere was a perfect environment for a burgeoning of relationships. Anyone who has been to camp knows that the campers and staffers quickly become like a family. This is always a good thing, but for me, who had been so longing for a meaningful connection with people in the country where I serve, its significance cannot be overstated.



Second, camp, though it was located a 10-hour train ride from my site, was the best thing I’ve done for integration into my community. I brought a student from my school to the camp, and the relationship he and I formed is invaluable to me, not to mention the new relationship I developed with his parents and family, who extended to me a significant level of trust when they agreed to send their son to my camp.



Third, I had the opportunity at camp to address some of the significant kinds of issues that originally drew me to the Peace Corps. My official job in Ukraine is to teach English, but I signed up for much more than just that. At camp TOBE, I was able to work with the campers in addressing such issues as gender equality, HIV/AIDS prevention, and human trafficking. The campers even engaged in a debate about gay marriage.



Fourth, camp TOBE was a big project that I worked hard on, so its successful completion naturally came with a general sense of accomplishment that felt good to me.



And, besides all that, camp was plain fun! We went swimming and canoeing. We played football (American style), volleyball, ultimate frisbee, and the Ukrainian water game “Latka.” The boys made their own piñatas just before busting them open for candy. There were relay races, an egg drop, and a huge bonfire on the last night.



So, in my final estimation of Camp TOBE, yes, there were a lot of mosquitoes, and they found ways to bite me even though I was applying repellent three times a day. Yes, I had to shower in cold water. Yes, the outhouse was scary. And, quite frankly, it was a lot of work to direct a camp. But, it was more than worth it. I had a blast while engaging in meaningful work with an all-star group of Ukrainian young men, and it redefined my Peace Corps experience. I would do it all over again (and, indeed, I intend to!).

No comments:

Post a Comment