Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Update from My New Site (Jan. 16, 2010)

First of all, have you ever had warm milk fresh from the cow?




I’ve been in my new home (I am finally at my permanent site) for about three weeks now, and food has been an issue. I’m living alone, thus cooking for myself. I can cook… in America. But, I’m not in America. And there isn’t a grocery store. And the market sells food that I’m not used to. So, cooking here requires an adjustment. And, slowly but surely, I’m adjusting. Last week, I made a delicious pot of borshch. And, this morning I got up early and went to the market (Saturday is the big market day) to buy fresh milk. Another teacher from my school met me at the market to introduce me to a dairy seller. The dairy seller is a lady with a cow(s) who lives in a nearby village. She brings her dairy products into our town on Saturday morning – milk, cheese, butter, sour cream. I signed up for a liter of milk every Saturday. So, I got home and boiled the milk (this is not the time to tell you about the very ugly problems I’ve been having with my digestion system; let’s just say I learned the hard way to boil everything!). Then I poured myself a glass and drank it with the fresh bread I also bought this morning. Bread is made locally, so the bread I liked in my training village is not available here. I’ve been trying to find bread that I really like. Today I found it! So, a slice of fresh bread and a cup of warm milk.



It was delicious. Honestly, like the most delicious thing I’ve had in the past several weeks. I just finished it, so I’m feeling very happy right now. Although, the doctor told me not to eat dairy while I’m having digestive problems, so I don’t know what will happen. I might not be very happy later.



Anyway, I’m typing this from my apartment. You know what that means, don’t you??? I finally have internet! And, it is a beautiful thing.



In other news, I have finished my first week of teaching. It was long and busy, but it was successful. The students and teachers are very excited to be working with me, and of course the feeling’s mutual.



Another thing I am happy to report. There is a fitness club in my town, and I joined it! But, it gets better. There is a yoga class! I’ve been going three times a week to do yoga, aerobics, and a bit of weight training. Besides the gym, I walk everywhere I go, which gets frustrating at times, but it’s good exercise. The school is a twenty minute walk; the market, 30 minutes; the gym, 40 minutes – of course, that’s all one way. So, I miss my car, but my body is shaping up.



That’s it for now. But, with internet in my apartment I’ll be able to post updates more often.



Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment