Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nov. 06, 2009

I only have a few minutes, but I want to write a quick update.


First, the really big news, I am in Kyiv right now!!! This is my first trip to the city, so it's been a long time coming. I've been wanting to come here since I arrived. And Kyiv is beautiful.



Second, I think I've made it past the most difficult stages of culture shock. I am learning how things work here and am adapting quite well. Of course I am continuing to work hard studying the language, and it is paying off. It feels really good to finally talk to my host mother, although we've both done quite well learning sign language. I have to say how wonderful she is. Her food, her home, her concern for my well-being, her friendship. I certainly have a lot to thank her for.



The flu has made it to Ukraine, and it hit hard. All the schools in the whole country are closed for three weeks. That makes my teaching internship a little tricky, but we'll manage.



I went to church last Sunday. Actually, I went to three churches. A true theology major, I was fascinated. Believe it or not, I even got to see a wedding in a Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The third church I went to was Baptist. I only intended to find the church and read their sign outside. But, a sweet old lady would not let me stay out in the cold. She invited me inside the church, where I was greeted by four other old ladies and by their kisses on both my cheeks (they ain't afraid of no flu!). I told them I couldn't stay, but they insisted we pray together before I left. So we all got on our knees, and they said a prayer. It was a meaningful cultural encounter for me.



It's getting cold, but I'm glad to report that I was able to buy a big, warm (and stylish) Ukrainian coat.



Okay, my time is up. I'm in the Peace Corps Ukraine headquarters office right now, and I want to find a book in the library before my group leaves.



Love you all and miss you!



Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment